Summer Camps & Workshops 2016 - Jazz Music Intensive Workshop (Ages 14-19)
Summer Camps & Workshops 2016 - Jazz Music Intensive Workshop with Rodney Whitaker - July 11-15 (Ages 14-19)
Jazz will be hot under the direction of Rodney Whitaker, along with national and regional jazz education greats. The six-day session is made up of big band rehearsal, combos, studio class, jazz history, listening and improv. The Jazz Music Intensive wraps up with two performances: a Thursday evening jazz faculty performance and a Friday evening student big band performance.
Internationally renowned bassist and Mack Avenue recording artist, Rodney Whitaker currently holds the title of Professor of Jazz Bass and Director of Jazz Studies at Michigan State University, where he has built one of the leading jazz degree programs and performing faculty in the United States. A proven and committed jazz educator, Whitaker has presented numerous master classes across the nation and is a consultant with the Detroit Symphony Orchestra in the development of the jazz education department, and has served on the faculties of University of Michigan and Julliard Institute of Jazz.
- Ages: 14 – 19
Capacity: 78 participants
- July 11 – 15, 2016
8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- July 15, 2016
7:00 PM – Final Showcase in the Alexis & Jim Pugh Theater
Note: 1 hour break for lunch – Please bring your lunch – closed campus
Number of Camp Participants Per Instrument:
- Saxophones: 12 participants
- Trombones: 10 participants
- Trumpets: 10 participants
- Pianos: 8 participants
- Basses: 10 participants
- Drums: 8 participants
- Guitars: 10 participants
- Vocalists: 10 participants
Applications and Acceptance for Jazz Music Intensive:
Students must submit a YouTube placement video to the Director of Education, Dana Brazil, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Video submissions will be accepted through June 13, 2016. All applicants will be notified regarding placement on or before June 29, 2016.
Click the links below for YouTube audition music.
- Bass - Trombone - Now's The Time-Billie's Bounce
- Bb - Trumpet-Tenor Sax - Now's The Time-Billie's Bounce
- C - Piano-Guitar - Now's The Time-Billie's Bounce
- Eb - Alto-Baritone Sax - Now's The Time-Billie's Bounce
- Groove Merchant - Alto I
- Groove Merchant - Baritone
- Groove Merchant - Bass
- Groove Merchant - Piano-Guitar
- Groove Merchant - Tenor I
- Groove Merchant - Trombone I
- Groove Merchant - Trombone IV
- Groove Merchant - Trumpet I
- Groove Merchant - Trumpet IV
- Vocalists choose from the following list:
- All of Me
- Take the 'A' Train
- Orange Colored Sky
- Autumn Leaves
- All The Things You Are
Groove Merchant - Drum Set
- Audition Instructions: Play from the Intro to Letter D - Groove Merchant
- Note: Drummers will need to demonstrate the following various grooves: slow swing, medium swing, fast swing, funk, bossa nova, afro Cuban 6/8, samba, 2-3 or 3-2 clave'
For detailed audition requirements and instrument preparation contact email@example.com.